Friday, July 20, 2012

Make your own book!


I love books! And I try to transmit the same passion to my kids; probably that is the teacher in me... I also find books like excellent helpers when we are trying to teach something to our kids, like good manners, love, potty training, eating healthy, even complex themes like parents divorce! Basically anything you want! And that is what I do, I use books with my girls all the time, but to make it a little bit more interesting for them, I turn my girls in to the protagonists, in the main characters of the story books and they love it! You don't have to be a Nobel Prize, to write a children’s book, you don't even have to write one! You can use the story of other children’s books that talk about the subject that you are interested in, just adapt the story to your Children and use your kids’ pictures, I do it this way and I love it so much that I even write my own stories once in a while...

I love to write my own books for my kids, this way they are very specific about what I want them to learn; everything is written with them in mind, and is so fun for the whole family, once I write the story we take lots of pictures for it; sometimes I even use my kids’ art work! After that, I just have to put everything together.  The complexity of the story of course depends on the kids’ ages.  My daughters are 2 and 4 years old, so simple and direct is the key, two or three lines per page and one or two big pictures... When I start making them books, I just print the pages and put them in a folder and that’s it, but the books with them like protagonists are so successful with my kids that I start making more and more, I bought a very economic laminator machine for $28, and started laminating my books to make them childproof, and with my favorite ones I even make a professional looking book, as there are so many websites that do it for around $20-30.

I started doing these books, because I was having a hard time figuring out how to explain to my older daughter that her little sister has Down syndrome, and I thought that doing it with books was an excellent alternative.  I tried to find all the books that I could about the subject, but still something was missing, and that is how I wrote my first book, I wanted to just make a very minimal introduction about the Down syndrome, but what I really did with this book is teach my girls that everybody has differences and similarities and that sometimes those differences are what make us love each other even more.


Here is a link of one of my more recent books, simple, easy going and bilingual:

No comments:

Post a Comment